Tuesday 24 February 2015

An Influential Event

There are always events in our life that would linger in our memories for as long as we live. For me, that event is the day my dad graduated from polytechnic. At that point in time, I was in Secondary 4, on the verge of dropping out of school due to lack of interest in studies.

Back in secondary school, I was among the poor performing student. I did not have much interest in studies to begin with. All I thought of was to work once I completed my GCE O’Levels. This was due to the financial difficulties that my family faced. Coming from a family of eight, my parents’ income was barely enough to support us.

Upon realising our condition, my dad enrolled himself into Institute of Technical Education (ITE) at the age of 40. By the time he reached his mid-40s, he completed his Higher-Nitec. He then furthered his studies by doing a part-time diploma course in Singapore Polytechnic. On his graduation day, he was announced as among the top-performing students in his cohort. Looking at him struggle between work, family and studies inspired me to not give up and study harder. What inspired me most is the fact that throughout this period, he had to work full-time and raise six children.

It was during his graduation ceremony that I realised if he can do it, so do I. I started to spend more time in school and catch up with the things that I was lacking behind. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be where I am today.


For “if it is to be, it is all up to me.” - Aristotle

5 comments:

  1. Hi Taq, this was very inspiring and I am genuinely happy for you and your father :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive indeed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taq, it is really heartwarming to see how your father motivated you to work hard, just like how my grandfather has always been an inspiration to me as well.

    For this writing, I felt that stronger emotions can be injected to allow the readers to better understand your predicament in your secondary school years. For instance, perhaps you could elaborate on the reasons for your lack of interest in studies. You can also elaborate on your thoughts and emotions as you witnessed your father's achievement. Your post has the potential to impact the readers and inspire youths with the lack of interest in studies too. :D

    Thank you for sharing this event and I am sure that your parents are very proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taq!

    Wowwwww... I had goosebumps reading this. I am truly happy for your father and I can see how big of an inspiration he must be to you. I especially liked how you compared yourself with your father when you mentioned that you were on the verge of dropping out, while your dad was announced as one of the top performers as it made it more apparent how your dad became such a big inspiration to you. Your father must be really proud of you to see how far you have come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Taq,

    That was such an awesome story! I am truly amazed by your dad and how he overcame the odds for the family. The difficulties faced and overcame showed that beyond his perseverance, the love for his family that spurred him on is admirable and to me, enviable too. He inspired not by mere words but by his actions; it seems there is no better way to teach such values.

    Glad that you have such a good teacher. Truly, like father, like son!


    "When we let our own light shine, we inspire others to do the same"

    ReplyDelete